HSD Versions Cleaner - An Overview
What you can do with it and what it can do for you
The HSD Versions Cleaner is a software tool for the Mac which allows you to observe and delete old file versions. Old file versions are previous versions of certain documents. For instance, every time changes made to a document are saved by the system's Auto Save feature, a snapshot of the previous document's data is taken and saved somewhere else on disk. With Versions - another macOS feature - it is then possible to replace the current version of a certain document by any previous version that is saved for that document.
Fortunately, the system doesn't keep old file versions forever. However, depending on how often changes made to a document are saved and how many data a document contains (think of documents containing images or large spreadsheet documents, for example) the total count of old file versions may occupy a significant amount of disc space nevertheless.
The HSD Versions Cleaner gives you control over how many old file versions shall be kept for selected documents. You can delete a selection of old file versions manually or even define criteria when certain old file versions shall be deleted automatically.
Both observing and deleting old file versions is done within a single application window:
If you want to learn more about the HSD Versions Cleaner, please consult the online documentation.
- Version 1.1
- Version 1.2
- Status November, 2017: In preparation and planning
- January, 2018: In development
If you ...
- have any open question regarding the HSD Versions Cleaner for which you couldn't find an answer within its documentation
- want to make a suggestion for what should absolutely be improved in a future version of this app
- found a bug (hopefully not)
Can it happen that all previous file versions disappear?: Yes, but this has nothing to do with the HSD Versions Cleaner. For instance, if you start your Mac from different start volumes from time to time, all previous file versions saved on other visible volumes disappear for whatever reason.
Public change log
- Different solution for showing the HSD Versions Cleaner's offline documentation.
- Moving files from one imported (sub)directory to another one could result into duplicates within the Navigator View; this is fixed now.
- Minor internal user interface fixes.
- Minor improvements of the user interface design.
Mac, macOS, and App Store are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.